Friday, 6 March 2015

How to Make Friends and Influence People

The internet, they say, is a way to make friends all over the world. I certainly have many virtual friends in faraway places. But recently I've discovered that it can also help you make friends in your own neighbourhood. I've now been living here for nearly six years, and I know my neighbours and the local dog walkers, but haven't got really close to anyone. Joining the singing group widened my circle of acquaintances, but suddenly there's a whole new raft of opportunities coming through Streetlife.com.

I got a letter inviting me to join so I decided to give it a try. Streetlife is a local community network which has recently started up in my area to facilitate conversations between local people and keep them up to date on what's going on in the area. One stream I got involved in has already resulted in joining forces with other dog walkers and have company and chat on the way. The same one has organised get-togethers for coffee or lunch which have not yet quite worked for me yet, but I'm sure they will. There's a lot of recommendations for skills that might be needed and it's an opportunity to advertise events that might be of interest. And all completely free.

Meanwhile, the first daffs have come out in my garden.


4 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

What a fantastic sounding website. I wonder if there is one in my area too. Thanks for the heads-up.
Isn't it nice to see the first daffs?!

Jean Knill said...

Yes Jenny. daffodils are definitely the heralds of spring. Hope you have a Streetlife for your area. If not, no doubt it's on its way.

Sharkbytes said...

Daffodils are great! And I'm glad you are connecting with some potential friends.

Poetic Shutterbug said...

Those daffodils are just gorgeous. That community sounds like fun

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site