Friday 5 September 2008

Freelancing and Blogging

My last two articles about China sold within twentyfour hours of being showcased at Constant Content. I had offered them to a customer who made public requests for a) something on Chinese astrology and b) Chinese cultural articles, including travel. When I made my offers, I also queried another idea I had about Chinese culture, which was favourably received, so I’m still working with my Chinese hat on. And I’m putting in a lot of hours, far more than the fees I’m getting warrant really, because China is outside my experience. Really fascinating, though.

I’m quite happy about staying with China for now, but I usually like to flit from topic to topic and have the benefit of that variety in my working life. Researching different areas keeps me stimulated so I can produce my best work, and it’s one of the advantages of freelancing. It can actually limit my success, but I try to balance it with what seems to be hot in the market as well.

Being in the blog world definitely helps. I get all sorts of ideas for articles as I surf around the entrecard circuit and see what other people are getting up to. And since I’ve been blogging, I’ve hardly dried up at all. I mean no more writers’ block since I’ve disciplined myself to think up something to post in one of my two blogs at least five days a week.

So I’ve more than one reason to love blogging.

3 comments:

Patricia Rockwell said...

Yes, I agree. Entrecard dropping allows me to see so many other blogs that I might not visit otherwise. I get lots of great ideas from fellow bloggers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the kindly comment on my post about Sydney. Now I know the reason you love that Chinese Garden of Friendship in Sydney, You know a lot about Chinese cultural!

Unknown said...

Thank you both for your comments.

Patricia - it's good to know I'm not the only one.

iwalk - coincidence really as it's a long time since I went to Oz. Perhaps that's what inspired me.

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site