Saturday 27 June 2009

BlogCatalog

I was advised to join BlogCatalog when I first started this blog. So I did, quite early on, though I was never quite sure what benefits I was getting from it. I didn't really use it and rarely visited it.

A few weeks ago, I got notification that someone had added me as a friend, then another, and another. At first I just checked the blogs of the friend and added them to my own friends if they seemed appropriate. One day I noticed that someone had left a message thanking for an add. That seemed a courteous thing to do, so I copied and tried to think of something I liked about the blog that I could mention.

Then I started to get messages back, and a few virtual conversations started. The friend adds really snowballed. I realised that I was getting a lot more traffic than my entrecard stats were telling me.

I'm sure you can work out that there's a lesson here for any BlogCatalog users who are as naive as I was.

Ninny that I am, I still haven't worked out how to get full stats for my blog. If you are able to point me in the right direction, please do.

5 comments:

Mike Golch said...

you might try a counter like I have on my blog.there are several different ones out there.try clicking on ther when you see one on a blog that you follow.

Joanne Olivieri said...

I am on blogcatalog as well but never even visit there. As far as stats, go to Google Feedburner and sign up. Not only will you get state but many other benefits as well. You'll learn optimizing, monetizing etc... It's free and a great too for your blog.

Jena Isle said...

Hi Jean,

Lol, I am also a ninny on that one, is blogcatalog the same as mybloglog? I can't seem to know the difference. I am a member of mybloglog but I rarely visit it too. But there were times, someone had monitored my online activity based on my mybloglog's stats...surprising.

I'll wait for answers to your question and hope I'll be able to learn too.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. I'll check them out.

Wolf said...

I want to start out by saying that I very much enjoy your blog and it's absolutely beautiful there.
I am currently at Blogfloss.com and they are currently offering a free lifetime membership to the first 1000 people who join. I was on Wordpress originally and they helped me import my whole blog over to their site for free. I didn't have to re-write a thing. You may want to consider doing the same. Take care...

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site