Saturday 7 September 2013

Day Trip to Christchurch

I took a day off on Thursday and met  my f riend at the bus station in Poole. The plan was to take a bus and get to Studland or Swanage on the far side of Poole Harbour. But after waiting for nearly half an hour we gave up on the buses going in that direction and took one heading the opposite way to Christchurch on the far side of Bournemouth. It took ages to get there but it was worth it. We walked through the gates in this picture which lead to the ancient Priory.

pic by Mike Faherty

pic by Chris Gunns

Then we walked down to the quay for which, sadly, I couldn't find a photo. But here's one of a part of Christchurch Harbour which is not far away from where we had our lunch. It shows some of the many swans that inhabit the harbour. There were lots of them on the quay which were really tame and took no notice of humans strolling close to them.

pic by Chris Talbot

My friend and I had a very pleasant few hours in Christchurch, with time to take in an art exhibition in an old mill, and to purchase some supplies for my friend's painting class. The bus rides home were exhausting, but it was a small price to pay. I will be finding out more about Christchurch that I can relay to you in a future post.

My thanks to the photographers from Wikimedia Commons who allow their pics to be used under Share Alike Licences.

2 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I was in Dorset last week and considered visiting Poole which I haven't seen since I was ... well, a teenager I think. I am sure it has changed almost beyond recognition, but I used to live in Bournemouth so once knew it quite well. Your pictures and post were interesting to me.

Unknown said...

Hi Jenny. We have lived here over 4 years now and the biggest change since then is the new lifting bridge over the harbour. Now there are two lifting brodges, so when things are working smoothly it makes things easier for driving landlubbers, but the boat people don't enjoy queueing up to get through both of them.

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site