Thursday 17 December 2009

What to Do with Stale Doughnuts



(This mouthwatering pic is by Kronn at Wikimedia Commons.)

Last week hubby came home with a packet of mini jam doughnuts. He just saw them in the shop and fancied one. We are great believers in ‘a little of what you fancy does you good.’ And these were MINI doughnuts.

There were four in the packet. We had no family or friends visiting, so when we’d had our quota of one each, there were two left. And of course you know doughnuts have to be eaten fresh. They don’t last overnight.

I can’t bear to waste food and the next day I didn’t want to throw away those doughnuts. After research and improvisation, I came up with the following recipe. It made pudding for two days. On the first day we had it with warm stewed apple, and the second day I heated it in the microwave and poured hot custard over it. We loved it.

Preheat oven to 180ยบ
Grease a tin or ovenproof dish
Cut the doughnuts into small pieces
Dot them with butter, bertolli spread or your choice of butter substitute
Arrange them in the greased dish
Sprinkle them with currants or raisins
Beat two eggs in a measuring jug
Make it up to half a pint with milk
Stir in a dessertspoon of sugar
Pour over the doughnuts
Bake for about 25 minutes until just firm and browned on top.
Enjoy.

4 comments:

Joanne Olivieri said...

Wow, what a great idea and it sounds delicious. Thanks for the tip. Although with me, doughnuts are always eaten right away :)

Catherine said...

If I weren't on a diet I'd try this...but who says you can't treat yourself once and while?

Jessie said...

Oh I love how I love a bread pudding!
Sounds diabolical!

:)

harry said...

nice ideas... doughnuts always be my fav, internet, doughnuts and cappuccino are great combination:)

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site