Sunday 17 October 2010

Swans on the Stour


On day one of our recent holiday, we set off in the late morning to drive to our Herefordshire destination.  The weather was rather cloudy with the sun occasionally bursting through.  We decided to leave the main road and take the scenic route.  When we crossed the narrow stone bridge over the River Stour at Spetisbury, this was the delightful scene that met my eye.

I was trying to remember the word for a gathering of swans.  The word gaggle came to mind, but I believe it’s only associated with geese.  Anyway this definitely looked like a gathering together of a number of swan families.  Don’t they make a great addition to this river landscape?

13 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Jean, I've been looking up collective nouns. So far I have found 13 different ones including gaggle. A wedge when they are flying but otherwise bevy, herd, lamentation, whiteness, eyrar plus others including ballet. Now I've got a research project to find how each one came about.

Lakwatsarah said...

What a lovely picture. They swans are as charming as the landscape.

Unknown said...

Thanks Bob. Hope you will let us have your report.

Unknown said...

Thank you saggi. I agree, and that's why I had to stop the car and take some pics.

mizztraveller said...

This is sunday gathering and day off for swan family .

Unknown said...

Hi winter gurl. You could be right, except it was Saturday.LOL

Ursa Bowers said...

What a beautiful photo! Your writing style is lovely as well. Thank you for making me feel warm and cozy inside :)

Sylvie

Unknown said...

Sylvia: thamk you so much for your lovely compliments.

Joanne Olivieri said...

A beautiful sight with those lovely swans.

bev said...

nice picture...nice blog..

Unknown said...

Thank you Jo and Bev.

RWS Photo Blog said...

nice photos

Unknown said...

Thank you RWS for visiting and commenting. I will come and visit you.

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site