Sunday 17 February 2013

Exotic Bird Sighting

pic by Prabhatgupta at Wikimedia Commons

A few weeks ago our area was swamped with twitchers because there had been a sighting of a South African hoopoe nearby. I kept my eyes open but didn’t get a glimpse myself. But this morning when I took Jade to our deserted park, there it was strutting around under the trees and every so often dipping its head to forage for some morsel it fancied. At first Jade saw it too and moved towards it so that it flew off. I thought that was that, then we came round an evergreen and there it was again, this time in the open ground about 10 feet away, giving me a great view of its ruff and striped wings. I stood and watched it for about 5 minutes before we continued our morning stroll.

4 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

This is one of those times when having a comera with you would have been great.

Unknown said...

You're so right, Bob. It would have to have a good telephoto lense though. I don't suppose it would have been as good as the one I've used here though.

Sandra Rose Hughes said...

My goodness! I would consider myself blessed to ever see a bird like that! What an auspicious day!

Unknown said...

oh yes, Sandra Rose. I was blessed indeed. My dog walking friends are green with envy.

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site