Friday 24 May 2013

Book Reviews

I've recently written a couple of Amazon reviews. I only do this for books that really impress me. This time I was  inspired by one, and then remembered others I've been meaning to write about. So here they are.

House of Silence by Linda Gillard

This is the second book by Linda Gillard that I've read on my Kindle. In both I have been impressed by the author's command of English and the lack of any errors to distract me from the content. I bought the House of Silence because I had so enjoyed Emotional Geology, the previous book of hers that I'd read, and I wasn't disappointed. The emotion and psychology in both books was one of the themes, and I suspect it will feature in all her work. Another element common to both books was textile craft, which was woven into the story with an apparent in-depth knowledge and passion. But there was so much more in House of Silence: a mystery on many levels that kept me reading far into the night. I recommend it to anyone who likes to get into the head of the characters in a fascinating story.

The Chocolate Egg Murders by David Robinson

I do love the STAC mysteries. They are light enough for reading them to be a great way to unwind in bed after a tough day. The mysteries keep me guessing, but over the course of the series I’ve got to know the characters so well that they are pretty predictable now. I must admit that I was a little surprised when Jo got into bed with… no I won’t be a spoiler. In the The Chocolate Egg Murders, the club outing is Easter weekend in Weston Super Mare and it was a perfect follow on from the last one. In fact, the books in this series seem to get better and better. The author knows his cast well and keeps them perfectly in character throughout. For me, the main three have become like family now. I’ll be looking out for the next book to see where STAC is off to next, and how Jo solves the crime with the help of his two employees. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes crime fiction that is not too dark.

3 comments:

Linda Gillard said...

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post your excellent review of HOUSE OF SILENCE. (I'm the author.)

There are so many illiterate & malicious troll reviews on Amazon now, it's a pleasure to read a considered review that's been written by someone who's actually read the book.

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting, Linda. I also saw your comment on Amazon. I was first introduced to your books on the Facebook Crooked Cat reader group. I also read and enjoyed The Glass Guardian and have A Lifetime Burning sitting on my Kindle ready to start. You could say I'm a fan. Please keep them coming.

Sharkbytes said...

These sound like two I would like.

Writing Tip



________________
Add this to your site